It’s Spring and time to take the party outdoors. Take advantage of local and fresh seasonal produce with this menu for the perfect Springtime Soiree – perfect for your backyard or take a picnic to your favourite outdoor park.
1. APRICOT SUNRAY PUNCH – GOOD FOR MAKING IN ADVANCE!
- 1/2 bottle cognac
- 1 bottle sparkling wine
- 3 cups apricot liqueur
- 1 1/2 cups apricot nectar
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 6 to 7 lemons
- 4 cups freshly squeezed blood orange juice, from 12 blood oranges
- 4 to 6 apricots, thinly sliced
- 5 lemons, thinly sliced
- 1 blood orange, thinly sliced
- 12 cherries
In a large punch bowl or pitcher, add all of the ingredients and stir with ice.
2. MORETON BAY BUG ROLLS WITH SPICY MAYONNAISE
Makes: 6 rolls
Prep time: 10-15 min
- 3 cooked Moreton Bay bugs
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 tbsp whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp crème fraiche
- 1 tsp Moroccan spice (*see below)
- 6 small dinner rolls, cut in half
- Remove the meat from the Moreton Bay bug shells and slice or shred.
- To make the spicy mayonnaise, add the whole egg mayonnaise, crème fraiche and spice mix into a bowl and stir to combine.
- To assemble the rolls, spread both sides with the spicy mayonnaise, top the bottom half of the roll with the Moreton Bay bug meat and then the shredded lettuce. Sandwich with the roll tops.
*MAKE YOUR OWN MOROCCAN SPICE
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper ground
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
Combine all the ingredients together and pour into jar or container.
3. SIMPLE GREEN SALAD WITH DILL
- 1 bunch Romaine Lettuce (chopped)
- 4 stalks Celery (chopped)
- 1 Cucumber (medium)
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Dill (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 teaspoons Lemon Juice (fresh squeezed)
- ⅛ teaspoon Seasoning Salt (to taste)
Wash and chop all vegetables and dill, and place in a large bowl. Pour the remaining ingredients over the veggies and toss to coat. Serves 2 as large salads or 4 as side salads.
4. DESSERT – FRUIT PARFAITS
Keep it simple and fresh with strawberries and stone fruit! Pick your favourites and chop up and toss with a squeezed lemon half and a couple swigs of Elderberry Cordial. Top with freshly whipped cream and a mint leaf. If entertaining at home, serve them in parfait or martini glasses. If it’s a picnic consider reusable mason jars. Looks beautiful and tastes even better!
When it comes to beautiful outdoor areas, the lifestyle community at Latitude25 is a winner. Their professionally landscaped grounds include a beautiful BBQ area and terrace with stunning views to two lakes and firepit – all available for residents to use for outdoor entertaining. Plus, the architecturally designed homes feature modern, spacious alfresco areas for entertaining at home in style.
If you’re interested in taking a tour of Latitude25 to see all the benefits of this luxurious lifestyle community contact 1800 025 025 or go to www.visitlatitude25.com.au.